In addition to an extensive selection of books on parenting in the adult non-fiction section, the Children’s Department maintains a Parents Shelf housing books on topics including pottytraining, childrearing, loss, learning disabilities, adoption, and divorce. Staff can also assist in finding books and other materials on any topic in which you are interested, including suggesting books for your homeschooling lesson plans.
Helpful Websites for Parents
- ADD: The site of the National Attention Deficit Disorder Association, includes information on AD/HD, locating support groups, and online classes.
- ALA Current Notable Children’s Books: The year’s current notable book from the American Library Association.
- HealthyChildren.org: Health website for parents by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Especially for Young People and their Parents: Links to online safety rules and suggestions compiled by the American Library Association.
- Family Education Network: Focusing on helping children succeed in school.
- GetNetWise: Learn about tools and techniques to better protect your children when their online, reduce unwanted emails and viruses, and keep your personal information private.
- Great Websites for Kids: The Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, sponsors this compilation of recommended websites for children and parents which range from serious, homework assistance to fun, creative activities.
- Kidsgrowth: Gives parents information on behavior, development, and pediatric health conditions, and offers advice on dealing with specific symptoms.
- Kidshealth: A safe place for kids to find out more about their bodies and feelings. Parents can find accurate information on issues ranging from child diet and nutrition to immunization.
- NetSmartz: Learn about the dangers of the Internet and what you can do to protect your child.
- Resources for Families: The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry provides this site as a place where parents can get up-to-date material on issues relating to their child’s mental health.
Helpful Websites for Homeschoolers
- Home School Legal Defense Association: Current news on homeschooling, homeschooling statistics, advocacy, FAQs, a calendar of events in the United States and membership information. Also featured here is a search tool to locate the laws and regulations on homeschooling in any state.
- Homefires – The Journal of Homeschooling: Links to a bookstore, curriculum planning information, homeschool resource guides, subscription information, and other relevant websites.
- Homeschool World: Homeschool World features a directory listing of homeschool organizations for a particular state, a link to Books4HomeSchool which is a curriculum book reviewing service, and a link to Family Safe Startup-Page which contains safe links for the entire family.
- National Home Education Research Institute (NHERI): This is a non-profit organization that provides extensive research on homeschooling and aims to inform the public on the findings of all its studies.