The Children’s Department maintains a Parents Shelf housing materials on topics including pottytraining, childrearing, loss, learning disabilities, adoption, and divorce. Staff can also assist in finding books and other materials on any topic in which you are interested. Additional parenting materials can be found in the adult collection.
Helpful Websites for Parents
- ALSC Current Notable Children’s Books: The year’s current notable book from the Association for Library Services to Children.
- Excellence in Early Learning Digital Media Award: Award winning apps with a focus on early learning. Given by the Association for Library Service to Children
- Family Education Network: Focusing on helping children succeed in school.
- GetNetWise: Learn about tools and techniques to better protect your children when their online, reduce unwanted emails and viruses, and keep your personal information private.
- HealthyChildren.org: Health website for parents by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Internet Privacy and Safety: Information for parents and kids on internet privacy and safety from the Association for Library Services to Children.
- Kidsgrowth: Gives parents information on behavior, development, and pediatric health conditions, and offers advice on dealing with specific symptoms.
- Kidshealth: A safe place for kids to find out more about their bodies and feelings. Parents can find accurate information on issues ranging from child diet and nutrition to immunization.
- NetSmartz: Learn about the dangers of the Internet and what you can do to protect your child.
- Notable Children’s Digital Media: A collection of excellent apps and websites for children 14 and under curated by the Association for Library Services to Children
- Resources for Families: The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry provides this site as a place where parents can get up-to-date material on issues relating to their child’s mental health.
Helpful Websites for Homeschoolers
- Home School Legal Defense Association: Current news on homeschooling, homeschooling statistics, advocacy, FAQs, a calendar of events in the United States and membership information. Also featured here is a search tool to locate the laws and regulations on homeschooling in any state.
- Homeschool World: Homeschool World features a directory listing of homeschool organizations for a particular state, a link to Books4HomeSchool which is a curriculum book reviewing service, and a link to Family Safe Startup-Page which contains safe links for the entire family.
- National Home Education Research Institute (NHERI): This is a non-profit organization that provides extensive research on homeschooling and aims to inform the public on the findings of all its studies.