Award Winning Books / Books and Reading / Recommended Reads / School Lists
Award Winning Books
- American Indian Youth Literature Award-awarded biannually for the best writing and illustrations of Native Americans and Indigence peoples of North America.
- Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature-awarded to books about Asian/Pacific Americans and their heritage, based on writing and art.
- Boston Globe-Horn Book Award-awarded for excellence in children’s and young adult literature (published in the United States) in the categories of Picture Books, Fiction and Poetry, and Nonfiction.
- Caldecott Award-awarded to artists of American picture books for children.
- Coretta Scott King Book Award-awarded to African American authors and illustrators of books for children and young adults about African American culture.
- Geisel Award-awarded to authors and illustrators of beginning readers written in English and published in the United States.
- Newbery Award-awarded to authors of American Literature for children.
- Odyssey Award-awarded to a producer of audiobooks for children and/or young adults that are available in English in the United States.
- Pura Belpré Award-awarded to Latina/Latino authors and illustrators for works about the Latino culture experience for children and youth.
- Schneider Family Book Award-awarded to an author or illustrator for a work about the disability experience for children and adolescents.
- Sibert Award-awarded to authors and illustrators of informational books published in English in the United States.
- Stonewall Book Awards-awarded to books published in English on the LGBTQIA+ experience.
Books & Reading
- Bookhive: a reader’s advisory tool for infants through sixth graders that can be searched by topic or reading level.
- How to Raise a Reader: New York Times guide for raising a reader with helpful suggestions and book lists.
- KidsRead: coverage of children’s books, series and authors, including games and trivia section.
- Novelist Plus K-8: *must be a NOBLE member to use outside of the library*
Specifically for young readers. Helps kids find both fiction and nonfiction books that are just right for their reading level and interests.
- Rainbow Book List: Quality books featuring LGBTQ+ content for children from birth to 18 years old. Curated by the American Library Association.
- Rise: A Feminist Book Project for Ages 0-18: Formerly known as the Amelia Bloomer Project, this site contains annual lists of the best feminist books.
- Scholastic: visit the official site for your favorite Scholastic books that includes articles and book lists.
- StoryPlace: in English and Spanish. Includes links to preschool and elementary school stories, as well as online and other activities.