Now Accepting Applications!
Interested in helping plan and run teen programs, select books and suggest improvements to teen services? Apply to join TAB today! Click here for the application and contact Meghan at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
About the TAB
Founded in November of 2012, the library’s TAB officially stands for Teen Advisory Board (and unofficially stands for Totally Awesome Book-lovers). The board is made up of teenagers in middle and high school who have a desire to help their community and a love for the library. The TAB meets with the YA Librarian monthly to help plan programs, select books, and make other suggestions for how the library can improve its services to teens to fulfill their needs and interests.
The TAB’s bylaws (rules that govern and guide the group) are available online here.
Officers and Board Members (2017-2018)
Co-presidents: Natalie Eberhardt & Maria Connor
Vice president: Eliza Michaels
Secretary: Jackie Swanick
Treasurer: Libby Panico
Display Coordinator: Eliza Michaels
Display Assistant: Heidi Eberhardt
Thien-Kim N Nguyen
Some Major Accomplishments Since 2012
- Selected over 100 new books for the YA collection by reading professional reviews
- Helped plan summer reading events for four consecutive summers
- Recruited new members to build a dedicated board
- Chose fabric and created a plan for new pillows for the YA area
- Voted to add a comfortable arm chair to the YA area
- Increased social media presence of TAB by creating a Tumblr
- Assisted with planning and executing a “stuffed animal sleepover” for children
- Created beautiful new displays in the YA area on a monthly basis
- Assisted with an interactive movie experience for teens
- Recorded and shared all minutes via Google Docs and used Skype to connect with members that couldn’t attend in person
- Created videos to promote summer reading for the CSLP Teen Video Challenge (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Ran a toiletries collection drive for Waltham House, which raised 87 individual items weighing 34 pounds
- Attended the Boston Book Festival in 2014
- Participated in the BFYA Teen Feedback Session at the American Library Association’s 2016 Midwinter Conference
- Ongoing: Scoop ice cream and register kids for Beverly Library’s Annual Summer Reading Sign Up Night