Members of the Beverly Public Library or any other NOBLE library can use the Catalog to search for and request items from any library in NOBLE. If you do not wish to travel to another library, you may request other libraries send their items to Beverly for you to pick up.
To borrow library materials you must present a NOBLE registered library card. We honor library cards from other Massachusetts libraries, but you must still register with us.
To obtain a library card you must:
- Fill out a registration form at the circulation desk
- Present photo identification with your name and proof of current address (e.g. a driver’s license and utility bill)
- Parents or guardians must show their I.D. when registering children. There is no minimum age limit and no requirement that children can read or write their name.
Patrons who have come to the library without their card may borrow material by showing photo identification with their name and address.
Get a Password
Your password allows access your online account where you can manage holds, renew library materials, and more. You can get a Password by visiting the library, or by creating your password online if you have a valid email address on file.
Our Loan Periods and Overdue Fines
|Item||Loan Period||Overdue Fine|
|Adult / Young Adult / Large Print Books||3 Weeks||$.05 a day ($2.00 max. per item)|
|Books on CD||3 Weeks||$.05 a day ($2.00 max. per item)|
|Magazines||3 Weeks||$.05 a day ($2.00 max. per item)|
|Music CDs||7 Days||$.05 a day ($2.00 max. per item)|
|DVDs||7 Days||$.05 a day ($2.00 max. per item)|
|Museum Passes||1 Day||$5.00 a day ($30.00 max. per item)|
|Children’s Books, Books on CD & Magazines||3 Weeks||$.02 a day ($1.00 max. per item)|
|Children’s DVDs & Music CDs||7 Days||$.02 a day ($1.00 max. per item)|
See our Circulation Policies for more information.
Network transfers (items shipped from other NOBLE libraries) have a standard loan period of 14 days for books, periodicals and audiobooks, and 7 days for CDs and DVDs. All network transfers have two renewals, unless the item has been reserved by another patron. Fine rates follow the owning library’s rules.
Renew an item
We allow two renewals on each item with two exceptions: interlibrary loan items from outside the NOBLE network cannot be renewed nor can any item that has been reserved by another patron.
- Renew in person: bring your library card to the circulation desk and staff will assist you.
- Renew online: log on to your library account and renew from your list of checked out items.
- Renew by telephone: call the Circulation Department at 978-921-6062. Have your library card number handy.
Place an item on hold
If an item is owned by another library or already checked out, you usually can place a hold on it so that the next available copy is reserved for you. To place a hold online follow the instructions below.
- Search the online catalog for the item you want and click on “Place Hold” to the right of the item.
- You will be prompted to type in your library card number and Password if you are not already logged in. Be sure to choose the library where you would like to pick up the item.
- Click on “Submit”. A new screen will appear to confirm your hold.
- When the library receives the item, you will be notified by either phone or email. You can check the status of your requested holds through the “My Account” feature of the online catalog.
Our email notification service will email you when a hold has arrived, as well as when items are overdue or considered lost. You will also receive a reminder email two days before your item is due. To sign up, simply give us your email address the next time you are in the library, or add an email address to your online account.
If you no longer wish to receive notices via email, let us know the next time you are in the library.
Check the Commonwealth Catalog (ComCat) to request items that cannot be found in NOBLE. Overdue items from ComCat libraries will incur a fine of 50 cents per day.
If an item cannot be found in NOBLE or the Commonwealth Catalog a librarian can usually locate it somewhere else for you to borrow. In this scenario, we collect a minimum of $2.50 from you to cover shipping costs. Please contact our Reference Department at 978-921-6062 and we will assist you.