About the Contest
The Beverly Public Library offers an annual poetry contest for middle and high school students who live, or attend school, in Beverly. After the poems are checked to see if they meet the guidelines, they are submitted to a panel of judges, who are local published poets. The judges are given about a month to read the entries and select finalists. The YA librarian contacts the finalists (and their teachers) and invites everyone to the ceremony in mid-April.
The 24th Annual Ceremony will be held on Wednesday April 29, 2020. All finalists will be asked to read their poems aloud to the audience. Cash prizes will be awarded in two age categories, grades 6-8 and grades 9-12. All finalists receive cash prizes, in varying levels based on their placement of Honorable Mention, Third, Second, and First Prize.
Each year, a total of about 30 poems are selected. These poems are published in a booklet that is distributed at the ceremony, as well as kept in the library’s permanent collection.
The contest is open from January 6, 2020 to February 28, 2020 (at 4PM). Finalists are contacted in mid-April.
To qualify, the following criteria must be met:
- You must live in Beverly, MA and/or attend a school located in Beverly, MA and be in grade 6 through 12.
- Each student is welcome to submit up to, but no more than, three (3) poems.
- Each poem must:
- Be original work
- Have a title. Title must be listed in the Poem Title field and above each poem.
- Be entered separately online, or attached to its own copy of the ENTRY FORM. If submitting on paper, student’s name must not appear anywhere on the same page as the poem. Additionally, if submitting on paper, entries may not contain any illustrations and must be typed in Times New Roman font in size 12.
- Be submitted between Monday, January 6, 2020 and 4PM on Friday, February 28, 2020.
Students are strongly encouraged to enter online.
For more information, contact Meghan Karasin at 978-921-6062 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to the Friends of the Beverly Public Library whose generosity makes this contest possible.